When a phenolic handle is overheated, it may omit an odour. The odour arises from cresols in the phenolic. Cresols are common in the environment but usually occur at low levels as they break down quickly. They occur most commonly from vehicle exhaust and cigarette smoke. At very low levels, they are not considered harmful. Breathing high levels of cresols for a short time can result in irritation of the nose and throat.
The best way to avoid the release of cresols from phenolic cookware handles is cook at recommended temperatures. Avoid using high heat. Keep gas flames low so that there is
no direct contact with the flame and the cookware handle. Do not allow gas flames to extend beyond the diameter of the pan base.
Articles in this section
- Do you sell spare parts for Queen or iCook®?
- Do I have to cook using the vitalok™ cooking method or can i cook the way I usually do?
- My iCook® lid is stuck to the pan, what should I do?
- If there is a vitalok™ moisture seal, how do i check if my food is cooked?
- How does the vitalok™ cooking method lock in nutrients?
- Can I use iCook® cookware on my ceramic cooktop?
- Can I use my iCook® in the microwave?
- Can I change the long handle on my iCook® to the side handles instead?
- My iCook® handle or knob is loose
- An odour is coming from my iCook® handle